[Vobject] VEvent missing rruleset attribute outside of icalendar context

Erik Dykema dykema at gmail.com
Mon Mar 15 19:41:00 CDT 2010

Hi Vobject list-
     This is my first post, so I hope it's not a foolish one.  I did
google around and try to find the answer on my own but am still
stumped.  I've encountered something strange with vevents, and am not
sure whether it's a bug or a design decision that I don't understand.
     A vevent object seems to have different attributes depending on
whether it's created as part of an iCalendar object, and then later
added to it; or created standalone and then added to an iCalendar
object.  Particularly, when created standalone, a vevent seems to lack
the 'rruleset' attribute it might have if it was embedded in an
icalendar object.
     To my way of thinking, this is a problem because it breaks the
abstraction of the data model which is otherwise fabulous.  It also
makes me do strange things with my code, like serialize and
de-serialize objects to get things to work, and embed vevents into
bogus icalendar objects just to access the rrulesets.
     By way of example, I wrote up and attached a small python program
which makes a few vevents & vcalendars.
     This has been driving me crazy all day.  Hopefully someone wiser
can either confirm that I'm right, or point out what I'm doing and/or
thinking wrong.

Suggestions / help are much appreciated,
Erik