[Vobject] timezone bugs prevent round-tripping an ical object

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Tue May 2 13:17:17 CDT 2006

Jeffrey Harris wrote:
> Hi Phil,
>
>> In the process of writing a Google Calendar sync backend for opensync
>> (using the python plugin) I ran into this.
>
> Cool!

The good news is it ought to be working short - I need to check the
mappings are all ok and clean it up, and I'll probably drop it in the
opensync.org Trac tracker.

>> I confess I find the vobject code impenetrable, so I can't really debug
>> it, but I guess what happens is this:
>
> A detailed explanation of the code and more useful docstrings are both
> long overdue, so I'm not surprised you found it impenetrable, though of
> course I'm sorry to hear it.  Were there particular bits that you found
> especially opaque?

The core code was ok. The thing that confused me was the "behaviour"
stuff and how it plugs together behind the scenes. It's powerful and a
nice way to do it, but it took me a while to trace where the patch was
needed as a result. Certainly no criticism intended - it's been
awesomely useful code.

>> -                comp.add('tzname').value  = rule['name']
>> +                if rule['name']:
>> +                    comp.add('tzname').value  = rule['name']
>
> Yup, right you are, tzname isn't required and we were treating it as if
> it was.  Thanks for the patch, it's in Subversion r145.

Excellent, cheers
Phil