[Vobject] Created list, archives won't work for a week or two

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Wed Sep 1 03:42:16 CDT 2004

On Tue Aug 31 23:47:39 2004, Jeffrey Harris wrote:
> Hi Dave,
>
>> Tsk... That's officially considered harmful. :-)
>
> I agree, but for a small list it's surely not VERY harmful.

Not very, no. And as I say, my client can ignore it.

(Actually, my client can also select a "default reply type" for any
list, there's just no UI to actually set it. I really ought to sort
that one out, along with the automatic CC per-recipient.)

>> Do we want IMAP based archives of this list, while I'm tinkering?
>> Dead easy to do, and very useful if you've a decent IMAP client -
>> really easy to search sanely, etc.
>
> Intriguing, how do you arrange that?

Loosely:
1) Setup an anonymous-access IMAP server.
2) Create a publically shared folder for the list.
3) Subscribe an address to it which automagically gets delivered
direct to the folder.

It's a doddle with Cyrus IMAP. Slightly more complex with anything
else.

> BTW, I wasn't completely correct when I said web-based access isn't
> working, for the moment, going to
> http://lists.brotherharris.com/pipermail/vobject/ works OK.

I have way too many ideas about this to have the time to code them.
Primarily, I think the "web archive" ought to be pulling from IMAP,
and capable of posting to the list somewhat like a web-forum.

Wish I had the time to do these things. :-)

Dave.