[Vobject] date/time representations

Jeffrey Harris jeffrey at ic.org
Fri Oct 22 15:22:40 CDT 2004

Hi Dave,

> There's a library I mentioned to Jeffrey a while back which parses, and
> represents, iCal's date formats, including RRULE, and provides a spiffy
> interface to them.

[snip]

> I thought we'd be using that? (I do on my stuff, it's very spiffy indeed.)

TJ's been working on this, I DEFINITELY want to use dateutil.

I don't know how good dateutil's RRULE implementation is, RRULEs are
notorious for being a pain to implement.  I'm particularly worried about
RRULEs as they relate to timezones.  There's been an interesting (and
lengthy) discussion on ietf-calsify about the need for local timezone
information in RRULEs, see for instance
<http://lists.osafoundation.org/pipermail/ietf-calsify/2004-October/000264.html>,
I've had this dream that vobject could avoid fooling with timezones and
only deal with UTC times, corner cases for RRULEs make that a sketchy
proposition.

Sincerely,
Jeffrey