[Vobject] Reviving vobject maintainership

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Sun Jan 25 11:05:07 CST 2015

On Sun, 2015-01-25 at 09:02 +0100, Tobias Brox wrote:
> [Jeffrey Harris @ 2015-01-24 14:16]
> > I wrote vobject a decade ago. I am, at this point, contractually forbidden to maintain it. But I’d be happy for someone else to do so!
> Ok, so obviously someone needs to take the maintainer responsibility.  Adam
> Tauno Williams was hinting that he could do the job - ping?

Still here, still willing.

> If worst comes to worst, I can take the role - but I don't have much available
> time, so I will be a lousy maintainer.  Anyway, better with a lousy maintainer
> than no maintainer!
> Next question, how much of todays frameworks can be reused?
> * Home pages at skyhouseconsulting.com - do we have access to edit it?  If
> nobody at Skyhouseconsulting is involved anymore or want to be involved, it
> would make sense to set up new project home pages.  Would we be allowed to get
> a redirect?

It seems to me the simplest solution - and what would happen if I was
maintainer - is that everything would move to SourceForge where there is
a complete stack of applications for doing everyone necessary running on
a solid Open Source foundation [Allegra].

> * Mailing list.  It works - but as above, if there is no relationship between
> skyhouseconsulting and vobject anymore, it probably makes sense to set up a new
> mailing list and gradually move the traffic there.
> * Subversion repository at osafundation.  Is the OSAF still operative?

No clue.  It seems moribund.

> It seems like development on Chandler is more or less discontinued,

Yep.

> Probably it's better to switch to git.

Yep, subversion is fading.

> I'm (like many others) more comfortable
> with github than with SF, but if Someone Else wants to take over the maintainer
> role and move it to SF, then let's do that.

See above.

> * Bugzilla at OSAF.  SSL Cert out of date.  See the notes above ...

Yep.

> * pypi project page.  Whomever takes the maintainer role needs to be set up as
> the project owner there, so we can roll new releases.

Yep.

--
Adam Tauno Williams <mailto:awilliam at whitemice.org> GPG D95ED383