[Vobject] vobject dependency on setuptools

Bill Janssen janssen at parc.com
Wed Mar 25 18:43:37 CDT 2009

Bill Janssen <janssen at parc.com> wrote:

> Is there any way to remove the dependencies vobject has on the latest
> bleeding-edge setuptools?  I'd like to be able to build a vobject dist
> that doesn't require it.
>
> Why won't it work with the existing setuptools on OS X?  What's required
> from the latest version?

Just to explain this a bit more:

I'm building a large and complicated package that installs a number of
prereqs, including vobject-0.8.1c.  I install like this:

python setup.py install --prefix=/Library/MyPackage

Now, what happens is that vobject is properly installed, but then it it
goes off and starts following dependencies, including python_dateutil.
It finds dateutil and installs it -- in
/Library/Python/2.5/site-packages/!  Extremely wrong.  It needs to follow
the prefix arg in installing any dependencies.  Or not do it at all, which
would be my preference -- let me worry about them.

Bill