[Vobject] Timezone Problems -- PLEASE HELP!

Keyton Weissinger keyton at gmail.com
Thu Aug 27 23:45:23 CDT 2009

First and foremost, thank you for sharing your VObject library with the
world. It's a very nice way to handle these issues and I really appreciate
its use.

Unfortunately, I'm having some trouble at the moment and I'm hoping you can
help.

I am trying to create an ics file for syncronizing events from my school
mgmt system (http://www.schoolicity.com) with a user's Outlook 2007 or
Google Calendar.

When I create the events to be used to render the ics file, I am passing in
a timezone object like so:

            start_date_time = datetime(item.start_date.year,
                                        item.start_date.month,
                                        item.start_date.day,
                                        item.start_time.hour,
                                        item.start_time.minute,
                                        item.start_time.second, tzinfo =
my_tzinfo)

The tzinfo class I'm using is the USTimeZone class from the Python site (
http://docs.python.org/library/datetime.html#tzinfo-objects).

Given a date like 8/31/2009 3:00pm, I would expect to see an offset of -4:00
for Daylight Savings Time.

But the ics file shows ONLY EST (-5:00) no matter what I seem to do. The
date 8/31/2009 is definitely EDT.

Do I have to do anything special to get VObject to recognize that this time
is EDT? Instead I get TSTART;TZID=EST:20090828T000000 as an example start
event. The TZID=EST regardless of the datetime of the event.

As a result I'm off by an hour and my sync is not very useful.

Please help!

Thank you.

Keyton Weissinger