[Vobject] Vcard from Kaddressbook

Jeffrey Harris jeffrey at osafoundation.org
Mon Jun 18 13:07:14 CDT 2007

Hi Christoph,

> I tried to read a vcard (3.0) which was exported from Kaddressbook.
> It contains the field "X-messaging/icq-All:" and "X-messaging/msn-All"
> which can't be parsed.
> When I remove them from the card everything works fine. Is this a bug?

In VCARD and VCALENDAR, X-NAMEs can only consist of (ALPHA / DIGIT /
"-"), the slash is illegal.

So I'd call it a bug in Kaddressbook, but at some point we should
probably add a tolerant mode to vobject that parses invalid streams like
this more graciously.

If you're using a recent version of vobject, you can pass in
ignoreUnreadable=True to readOne or readComponents.  Then the parser
will just skip illegal lines instead of raising an exception.

Sincerely,
Jeffrey